Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Please pray for our Queen Nala...


This is Nala in the snow we got last Monday, Feb.2nd,2015.
You are now probably wondering why we are asking for prayers and positive thoughts for Queen Nala.
This past Thursday, Feb.5th,2015 I took Nala for her annual exam and shots.
Our vet said her eyes, ears, teeth, weight are ideal for an almost 14 year old dog (3/1/15 is her birthday,wait to you see the theme in a couple weeks).  Then when he got to the rear end of the exam he got quiet and no expression. I knew then something was up.  He found another lump on her and almost in the same spot as the one she had about 2years ago that was removed.  He suggested a needle aspiration and so, we preceded with the aspiration.  I knew when blood came out it wasn't good.  He took it to view it on the slide and came back a bit later that it is a mast cell tumor. Its in her groin area where there is little skin to remove it and with her being 14, might not be a good idea.  He also mentioned a new med for these mast cell tumors called Kinavet.  He told me he would look into the med further and let me go home and think about what we would like to do.  So, of course I googled the Kinavet med. etc.  I called twice with questions for him and he called back late yesterday afternoon with info. on the Kinavet. 
The Kinavet is a50/50 chance, costs would be 300-400.00 a month between meds and bloodtests.  She would have to go every 2weeks for bloodwork.  And he mentioned she already gets stressed coming to the vet for a regular exam and the stress of coming every 2 weeks might make the situation worse.  Very true, I agree with that. I want her to be stress free as possible right now.
He told me had a 17 year old dog one time go through the surgery, made it through the surgery, but didn't last long afterwards.
He also suggested xrays and/or an ultrasound to see if there are more on the inside and if so, surgery is a no go.
We don't know any time frame because her last one was a grade 2 which is in between a 1 and 3 grade. If it had been a 1 or a 3 last time it would be easier to give us a time frame.  So, we will just enjoy each day we have with her.
I told him you would never know she has cancer again.  She goes out plays with Chip in the snow, does her daily walk about of the property, eats what she wants(always has been a picky eater), still loves to have treats, especially human kind, etc. She sleeps a bit more, but at her age I expect that. I just can't believe she has the cancer again.
It breaks my heart there isn't much we can do to make it go away at her age.
So, everyday she gets her benadryl and acid relief for the tumor.  The tumor causes the acid in the stomach to upset a dog's stomach, so that's why she is on those 2 meds.
It hurts so bad knowing she has this again.  She is our alpha, our Queen of the pack and a great companion to us.
 
If anyone out there has any suggestions, ideas, thoughts on mast cell tumors I would greatly appreciate it.
Please email us at:my5sibes@gmail.com



3 comments:

  1. We don't have any experience with mast cell tumors, but we are so very sorry to hear this about Nala. All paws crossed for the vet to be able to do something to help her.

    Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no :( I am so sorry to hear this. I wish I had some advice or info for you, but we have never experienced this. I will be thinking of sweet Nala though and hope she will be ok. Thoughts and prayers going out to you.
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete